Thursday, April 29, 2010

I made pancakes this morning

...from scratch. 'Oh, cool,' you might say, 'flour, milk, an egg, what else?' Oh, no, my children. Here was the process.

Last night I mixed Sorghum flour, Tapioca flour and Cornstarch to make a flour blend. Which this in and of itself took three grocery trips...tapioca flour from Winco, they were out of cornstarch, sorghum flour at the nature store, back to Winco on another day when they had cornstarch in.

I then took one cup of this mixture and added more cornstarch, cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and the infamous xantham gum (this stuff costs $13 for 8 oz.) $13!!!?? Other than meat, I don't think I've ever spent this much money on one single grocery item.

This mixture is my "Pancake Mix"

I then took 1 cup of my pancake mix and added butter, one egg, vanilla, milk and lemon juice.....and voila...finally...a pancake.

We had pancakes a couple weeks ago, a gluten-free mix from Trader Joes. I thought these were pretty good but it was the strawberries, syrup and whipped cream that were disguising the true taste. A few days later, I made them up plain and they were sub-par. They tasted ricey. The pancakes from this morning, on the other hand, were pretty amazing considering they were gluten-free. Will I make them again? Probably. The work was worth the normalcy of enjoying pancakes and coffee on the couch with Josh before he went to work.

Anyway, there are some details for those of you interested. Cheers.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! You are dedicated to the cause. How is the gluten free stuff going?

Anonymous said...

We like the Bob's Red Mill gluten free pancake mix and have heard that the Pamela's brand is good too:) It's tricky going gf, we have been doing it for awhile. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You are such a good wife and mom!!!! You inspire me to be like that some day!! Josh and all of us are glade that you are a part of our family!! I especially like that part where you two enjoyed them together!!! That is so special. Love you and miss you all!!


Love Always,
Christie

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of work! Josh is blessed to have such a loving wife who goes far above and beyond for him. Love you much!

Love, Debbie

Mathews said...

You are such a good wifee! Josh has to make his own scrambled eggs these days:) ha!

Leslie said...

thanks for the details! I do my pancakes from scratch too, and usually make 5 batches at a time, well, the dry ingredients... into 5 ziplocks... then into the freezer... and I only have to add the wet stuff in the morning! Since it's such a process it's nice to do it only once and a while! Keep up the good work!