4 weeks ago I started coming to Starbucks once a week for some alone time while Josh stays home with the chonners. Oh my gosh. Such a small event but such a huge difference it makes in my life. I've been very mindful to not create a schedule for my time. If I feel like reading, I read. If I feel like writing, I write. If I feel like just listening to music on my headphones and nothing else, I listen (and act like I'm doing something on my computer so people don't think I'm a weirdo, humming with my eyes closed) but really...I'm getting goosebumps from Gregory Alan Isakov's Dandelion Wine.
I feel like a little part of me that's been sleeping is awake again.
And when I get home, I'm so excited to see my little cherubs. So, everyone wins. I feel refreshed and the break allows me to be a better mom. For a couple hours...at least =)
But today's visit to Starbucks made me wonder how many amazingly embarrassing conversations I have had at coffee shops that 4 strangers have overheard. Last week, it was 2 girls in their late teens who were talking about what girls in their late teens talk about. I had my headphones on but whenever I took them off or during the time of silence in between songs, I could hear every single word they were saying. Today, it's two lean, middle-aged women talking passionately about how they can't pass up a plate of brownies. So funny!
Some of the deepest conversations I've had in my life have happened in coffee shops with a warm cup of Joe in my hand. And I just wonder how many strangers were entertained by these conversations as they read their newspapers with headphone-free ears.
4 comments:
haha..love it! bryan and i talked about me doing this too, maybe twice a month! i think it's so important for mama's to have some alone time...good for you!!
And I would be happy to help with that!
I love this! It's good to hear how you are taking time out for YOU, and then how you feel so refreshed from it. This is good to take note of as we think about being parents.
emily
Too funny! Here's what you should do" Record these conversations and post them on a podcast, "Conversations over Coffee". That would be hilarious!
Post a Comment